How big is a 308 Winchester powder charge?
- .308 Winchester Powder Bul Weight C.O.L. Min Charge Bullet Make Accurate – 2230 130 gr. 2.690 in. 41.5 gr. Hornady Accurate – 2230 150 gr. 2.735 in. 40.5 gr. Hornady Accurate – 2460 150 gr. 2.735 in. 40.0 gr. Hornady Accurate – 2460 165 gr. 2.780 in. 39.0 gr. Nosler
- 1 What is the best load for 308 Winchester?
- 2 What is the best grain bullet for 308?
- 3 What is the best length for a 308 rifle?
- 4 Is 308 a long or short action?
- 5 What is the strongest.308 round?
- 6 What is the most accurate powder for 308?
- 7 What is the best 308 round for long range?
- 8 What is the difference between 180 grain and 150 grain?
- 9 Is 180 grain too much for 308?
- 10 Is 150 or 180 grain better?
- 11 What grain 308 do snipers use?
- 12 Is a 308 overkill a deer?
What is the best load for 308 Winchester?
The 6 Best Big-Game Loads for the. 308 Winchester
- Remington Core-Lokt 180-grain PSP RN. This load hits hard and makes a big hole.
- Hornady Precision Hunter 178-grain ELD-X.
- Barnes Vor-TX Tipped Triple Shock (TTSX) 150-grain.
- Federal Fusion 150-grain MSR.
- Hornady Custom Lite 125-grain SST.
- Nosler Custom 165-grain AccuBond.
What is the best grain bullet for 308?
For this reason, I strongly recommend using premium quality controlled expansion bullets that are 165 grains or heavier ( ideally 175-180 grains ) if you plan on using the. 308 Winchester for hunting really big game like moose and elk. Keep all of this in mind when you select. 308 ammo for an upcoming hunt.
What is the best length for a 308 rifle?
Our experience has shown that for a. 308 caliber tactical rifle with the overall rifle weight and shooting distances mentioned earlier, a barrel of 24-27″ is optimum in one of the fairly heavy contours we discussed.
Is 308 a long or short action?
Short-Action: The 308 Winchester was the model for this action length. It was created by shortening the 30-06 case. COL is established at 2.8 inches. Rounds like 243 Win., 260 Rem., 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm-08 Rem., 338 Federal, 358 Win.
What is the strongest.308 round?
The Liberty Ammunition. 308 Win. is the fastest at 3,500 FPS, and exits a rifle with a muzzle energy of 2,700 FPE. This lead-free copper monolithic, fragmenting hollow-point Liberty Ammunition round is the next generation of one of the most popular hunting and long range rounds in existence.
What is the most accurate powder for 308?
This, we’ve found, will give more realistic numbers. In addition to Varget and IMR 4064, a half-dozen or more other powders work extremely well in the. 308 case: AA 2460, BLC-2, IMR 4895, Reloader 15, Ramshot TAC, VV N150, and VV N540.
What is the best 308 round for long range?
308 ammo good for shooting long distances? Yes, the. 308/7.62×51 NATO cartridge is an excellent choice for hitting targets well beyond the 300-yard range. A 165 grain.
What is the difference between 180 grain and 150 grain?
At those speeds, and with both bullets sighted in 2-inches high at 100 yards, the difference in drop between 150- and 180-grain bullets is 2.82 inches at 300 yards, 5.73 inches at 400 yards and 9.69 inches way out at 500 yards. The 150-grain bullets also pretty well carry the same energy as 180-grain bullets.
Is 180 grain too much for 308?
308 with quality optics and loaded with good factory ammo or hand-loads in the 150 – 180 grain range, is ready for any medium to large non-dangerous game in the world. 180 grain Hornady Interbond.
Is 150 or 180 grain better?
Registered. Would recommend 150-165 gr bullets. 180gr are heavier constructed and don’t expand as fast for deer.
What grain 308 do snipers use?
308 caliber, 168-grain Sierra MatchKing boat tail hollow point (BTHP) cartridge. As recently as the 2007 American Sniper Association Annual Report, the. 308 caliber, 168-grain MatchKing BTHP was cited as being the “preferred ammunition” for police snipers “based primarily on its accuracy and consistency”.
Is a 308 overkill a deer?
These calibers aren’t “overkill” as long as you can put shots on target. But an afternoon of practice at the range with a. 308 Win. will always be less comfortable than with a 6.5 Creedmoor. These medium-sized calibers are more than capable of taking down deer.